Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dome of the Rock and Western Wall




June 18
Today we went to the Dome of the Rock! Only Muslims are allowed inside, but we got to walk all around the temple mount and talk about where the temple may have been. Inside the temple is the stone that the Muslims believe Abraham was prepared to sacrifice Ishmael on. We also looked at the location on the temple mount where it is believed the holy of holies was. The whole parameter of the temple mount was quite large, and as we left we walked through a grove of olive trees.

Afterwards we went to the Western Wall. Men and women have to go on separate sides and the men have to wear head coverings. I made my way through the crowd of people, some standing and talking, others sitting in chairs praying, some standing on chairs to peak over into the men’s side, perhaps to observe bat mitzvahs taking place. All the women were dressed modestly, as mandated in entering into the Western Wall area. As I approached the wall I struggled to find even a gap of space to press against. Women were kissing the wall, crying, and reading from prayer books, creating a buzz of Hebrew voices. I found a small area and immediately felt overwhelmed by the sweet presence of God. The wall was soft and cool as I ran my hand over it and the noises around me faded to the background. I pushed my rolled up piece of paper with a prayer written on it into a crack, alongside numerous others. As I stood against the wall, God spoke to me in a personal and present way.

From there we walked around some ruins that were from the first century. We sat on stairs that led into the temple mount that Jesus and his disciples would have walked on! I am still amazed that we can walk, sit, and climb on these ancient ruins! I’m so used to seeing things preserved in museums, but here we can actually interact with these pieces of history.

There is so much to process each day! It’s been really hard sitting down and gathering my thoughts and remembering everything we’ve done. But I think that’s a good thing ☺ Please pray that I get well rested and stay hydrated.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the specific prayer requests about rest and hydration. I'll be praying for that.

    The description of your visit to the Western Wall gave me goose bumps. I can't wait to hear more about that moment.

    And how cool that you can walk on the ruins and not just see them from behind a rope or something. You're getting to walk where Jesus and the disciples walked! I love reading every word you write.

    And I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete